Pumpkins are large in size. They are round with smooth shape. They have slightly ribbed skin. They mostly occur in yellow to orange color. Pumpkins are low in calories but they are rich in vitamin A Vitamin b vitamin c, vitamin D, vitamin b-6.
It is a controversy that pumpkins are fruits or vegetables. According to the botanist point of view, they are considered as a fruit because they are products of the seed-bearing structure of flowering plants. But some people considered it a vegetable because it is not sweating in taste.
Growing pumpkins is very easy. They require no special care. So we can easily grow pumpkins in our balcony or backyard. The pumpkins seed is cheap and easily available.
They are cultivated around the whole world. But they are mostly cultivated in the temperate zone or tropical regions. The best time to grow Pumpkins is from Late APRIL To MAY.
They grow well in slightly acidic or neutral land. The pH of soil ranges from (6-7).
Seedlings to Harvesting Full Video
Step by step process of planting pumpkins seeds in small pots
1. Choose Pumpkins Seed.
Firstly buy pumpkins seeds from A nursery or any market for planting. A variety of pumpkins seeds are available in the market but for home cultivation pie pumpkin, large decorative pumpkin, small decorative pumpkin are best.
2. Choosing A Pot.
A pot that can contain 15-20 gallons of water is perfect for planting pumpkins. A big pot is required for planting pumpkins because they require large space. Most people grow pumpkins along with the fence in the backyard.
But if we grow pumpkins in limited space then keep it in mind air can easily be passed around the plant. Sow three to four seeds in a big size pot it depends upon the size of the pot.
Requirements for growing pumpkins in pots
1. Planting spot.
Pumpkins are planted in the sunniest part of the house. They require a lot of light for their proper growth. They are long-day plants. They require up to six hours of light for their growth. Shadow also plays a role in plant growth it inhibits pumpkins growth.
Due to shadow moist remains intact on leaves so there is a chance of powdery mildews to the plant. They require a large space. So mostly people plant pumpkins in the backyards of their houses.
In the cold climate, the soil which heats up easily is best for planting pumpkins. Soil which contains high humus content. The soil must have a slight water-retaining capacity.
The soil must be with good drainage. Water does not stand after watering or rainfall. Soil with high organic content is best for growing pumpkins. The ideal pH of soil for planting pumpkins is (6-7).
Pumpkins require a lot of water for their growth. They are water thirty plants like melon and watermelon. The frequent watering is very effective for pumpkins growth.
So you have to spend a lot of time watering your pumpkins plants. When the soil is dry must water your plants. The morning watering is more effective than evening so morning time is the perfect time for watering.
When you plant pumpkins in the pot then the girth of the plant increases rapidly. You will need a big trellis to support your plant. A-shape trellis is the best one and easily available. When the girth of plant increases then train vines to climb on the trellis. Also, make some slings to hold fruit.
You must do mulching when the plant becomes a few inches tall. Mulching reduces water loss and soil remains moist. In moist soil, plants can uptake water nutrients easily. So it is necessary to keep the soil moist for proper growth of pumpkins.
Pumpkins plants require a lot of fertilizers. If we use fertilizers they show better growth. For fleshy and juicy pumpkins we will use the following fertilizers;
*when pumpkins are growing we will use nitrogen-heavy fertilizer. (For Alternative Of nitrogen Fertilizer we can use manure, compost & banana peels).
* when flowers are appearing then we will use phosphorous heavy fertilizer.
(For Alternative Of phosphorous fertilizer we can use kitchen scraps).
*when pumpkins are appearing then we will use potassium heavy fertilizer.
(For Alternative Of potassium we can also use Dung, wastage, etc).
Nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium are required for pumpkins proper growth because they are essential nutrients for pumpkins. Some micronutrients are also required but in small quantities. So we mostly use nitrogenous and potassium, phosphorous-containing fertilizers.
7. Take Care From Pests And Diseases.
Aphids, fleas, and bittles may attack your pumpkins. They may reduce your yield so you should take care of them. And spray pesticides to prevent your pumpkins from pest attack.
When you watered your pumpkins evening time then leaves remain moist. Due to fungal attack, your plant may suffer from powdery mildews.
Some weeds may also appear in your pot. They may uptake essential nutrients. Thus they show more growth then your plant. To avoid their growth and improve your pumpkins growth you may use weed killers.
8. Harvesting pumpkins.
Harvesting is also an important step. You must keep one thing in your mind only pick up mature pumpkins. A pumpkin is become matured if its shell becomes hard. Don’t break soft pumpkins. If their color is bright red you can break out. Harvest pumpkins after 90-120 days.
The immature pumpkins are used in many dishes either in sweat dishes or salty dishes. But you must break mature pumpkins. A pumpkin may become mature after 100 days of planting. After 100 days you can cut off pumpkins with pruning scissors or sharp knife.
To increase the life span of pumpkins you must cut off your pumpkins not from the fruit but with a few inches long stem. It increases your pumpkins life span. They remain juicy and fleshy for many days.
Store your pumpkins in a cool and dried place. On a cool and dried place, they can be saved for many days. Pumpkins can also be saved by freezing.
Health benefits of pumpkins;
1. Pumpkins are highly nutritious. As it contains vitamins A, B, C, B-6.
2. Pumpkins are immunity boosters.
3. Pumpkins have low calories because it contains 94 percent water. So due to low calories, it helps in weight loss.
4. Pumpkins contain antioxidants. These antioxidants reduce the chances of chronic diseases.
5. Pumpkins contain vitamin A, lutein, zeaxanthin they protect us from eyesight loss.
6. Pumpkins also have an unintended effect on the skin it keeps skin glowing and healthy. When we eat like fruits pumpkin, melon, and watermelon they contain water so they protect us from dehydration especially in summer.
7. Pumpkins have highly beta content. So eating it has a radiant effect on the skin.
8. Pumpkins have a high quantity of fibers. These fibers slow down sugar absorption into the blood thus help in regulating sugar level in the blood. These fibers help in digestion in the intestine. So they decrease the chances of colon cancer.
9. When we eat pumpkin in our daily routine it reduces the risk of diarrhea and constipation. If we regularly give pumpkins to your pets they will also reduce chances of diarrhea and constipation in your pets. If they have no constipation then they will regulate your pet’s metabolism the pets stay regulate.
10. Pumpkins seeds Are also edible and nutritious so we can eat them.
11. For a healthy lifestyle, we must use pure or canned pumpkins. Another important use of pure or canned pumpkins is that it can be used as an alternative of oil or butter in many sweat dishes.
12. Pumpkins help us to reduce the chance of metabolic syndrome, heart diseases, and diabetes.